Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Can idols really be abstract concepts?

In the Old Testament one of the 10 Commandments says you must not make and worship idols or graven images. Nowadays I hear preachers say that wealth, consumerism and even body image (e.g. through cosmetic surgery) are the modern idols. I thought the old testament was referring to small ceramic figurines which perhaps women carried as a talisman or to ward off misfortune.I don't recall the prophets railing against the King of Israel for being rich or accumulating possessions. Wealth and disposable income for the masses is very new, so I doubt the bible was written with that in mind. I can't imagine anyone worshiping a coin or piece of gold, perhaps they are obsessed about it which may well be another problem but I am sure this is not what the bible is getting at. I am sure people can be obsessed about cleanliness or hoarding so would these be a false idols as well? Is this one of the 10 commandments therefore saying do not indulge in Obsessive Compulsive behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment